Monday 20 April 2020

2020

2020 was not what I expected
I wanted to roam and be free outside
Instead, I look around at these four walls
And know I am in some kind of jail
DON'T GO NEAR ANYONE
And all I can do is miss my son

Coping much better than me is my son
Doing much better than I expected
For a social butterfly to be left without anyone
To not breathe the air outside
I would expect more freedom in a jail
Than any, I could find inside these walls

There is no freedom inside the grocery store walls
Hoping only to run into my son
Hoping I don't go to jail
The masked faces were not what I expected
Nor standing 6 feet apart outside
No smiles from anyone

Craving small talk from anyone
Before I return to my apartment walls
Knowing I will be staring outside
Wondering about the welfare of my son
For him, this was not what I expected
To be a young man in this jail

Might as well return to my jail
Walking alone without anyone
This springtime I would not have expected
Becoming one with these walls
Missing my beloved son
Living his life, drawn to the outside

I dream of the day I can go outside
Free from this government jail
I dream I can finally hug my son
I can say hello and smile at anyone
In or outside these grey walls
2020 was not what I expected

No comments:

Post a Comment

FAMILY SCRAPBOOK AD Time

My latest published work about one family's experience with love, loss and trauma over four generations. Available at Amazon and other r...