Wednesday 13 May 2020

In Memoriam

Mom? 
Can you hear me?
I thought of you again today
As I typed my poetry 
Into my phone
You were wrong - 
People do like my writing
And I don't think they're lying

Mom?
Do you miss me?
I was never the daughter you wanted
The only daughter you were given
With calloused hands clasped
You would pray for peace in life
Instead of this strange girl
With a wild heart
Who refused to give up 

Mom?
Are you proud of me yet?
In my forties, surrounded by love
You're right - 
I have not accomplished much
But this love is the greatest gift
It holds me and protects me
Through every storm
My pride rests not in what I do
But who I am
And who you made me
When neglect and abuse 
Were supposed to be enough

No comments:

Post a Comment

FAMILY SCRAPBOOK AD Time

My latest published work about one family's experience with love, loss and trauma over four generations. Available at Amazon and other r...