Friday 8 May 2020

WALLS

Standing just inside your walls
Hoping you will let this indiscretion go
I step forward and I feel hands pushing me away
I hear words, cold to my ears
I see your expression and it is granite to my heart
I am too close and you need some distance
I can't say you didn't warn me

I look in the mirror
I see the same granite expression reflected back at me
Feel the coldness rising within my own skin
Distance from myself - self-preservation - 
Where only you remain
You were the lesson I learned when I tried to be open
And now I stand outside the walls
Ignoring invitations to proceed
Now I know better
I saw the other side

No comments:

Post a Comment

FAMILY SCRAPBOOK AD Time

My latest published work about one family's experience with love, loss and trauma over four generations. Available at Amazon and other r...